This question is becoming easier and easier to answer as the popularity of fiberglass pools explodes throughout the US. There are reasons for the migration to fiberglass pools.
1. Speed of Installation: Your fiberglass swimming pool comes directly from the Leisure Pools manufacturing facility in nearby Tennessee, pre-made and ready to install. Installation of a pool and concrete deck (without additional features) can be accomplished in 2-3 weeks.
2. Smooth Finish: Fiberglass swimming pools have a smooth clean gel coat finish that is non-abrasive. Fiberglass is “Easy on the Feet,” especially when compared to concrete pools that are abrasive.
3. Works Great with Salt: The gel coat finish on a fiberglass pool not only looks great, it’s so easy to look after. The surface is smooth and non-porous so it cleans easily and is very stain resistant.
4. Low Chemical Usage: No one likes swimming in a chemical cocktail but some pools require constant monitoring and expensive chemicals and with all the talk of the environment today, anything that uses less chemicals is a good thing. When it comes to concrete vs. fiberglass, there is no question which one uses less. The surface of the fiberglass pool is chemically inert so there is nothing in the pool surface that can alter the water chemistry. Hence, very low chemical usage and considerable cost savings on running your pool.
5. Much Harder for Algae to Grow: Combating algae can be a nuisance for pool owners, but fiberglass pools have become well known to combat ‘the green monster’ due to their non-porous surface.
6. Great Designs: Although you cannot customize a fiberglass pool, there are a variety of models and colors from which to choose. Pool lengths range from 19’ to 40’. There are pools that have diving envelopes with 8’ deep ends, as well as pools that have a built in splash pad and/or spa. There is truly something for everyone!
7. Seating is included: Steps and benches, a popular feature as social areas, and often an extra cost in other pools, is part of the fiberglass pool.
8. More Appealing to Potential Home Buyers: If you sell your home someday, you want your pool to be an asset, not a liability. With the beauty and the ease of maintenance of a fiberglass pool, your real estate agent will be glad to advertise your home as one with a fiberglass pool.
9. Warranty: What do you want your pool to do? Hold water and stay beautiful forever? Check out the Lifetime Warranty on Leisure Pools.
10. Cost: Fiberglass is your best choice with respect to cost. While you may spend more up front, a lifetime of low chemical usage and a lifetime of durability will ultimately cost you less.